Not all Doctors can Prescribe Methadone for an Addiction
At MethadoneDoctors.com, we are here to help you find a local methadone doctor that is licensed to prescribe this medication for an opiate addiction.
There are two types of doctors:
- Those who can prescribe methadone as a drug to treat pain
- Those who are licensed to prescribe methadone for the treatment of an addiction
If you are looking for a doctor to help you overcome an opiate addiction, you must find one that fits into the latter group. This is the only way to ensure that you can get the medication you need to beat your trouble and get your life back on track.
Find a Medical Professional
Once you find a doctor who has experience administering methadone as a means of treating an addiction, you can rely on this person to provide you with professional guidance and advice until you reclaim control.
In addition to our online directory, you have many other options for finding a methadone doctor:
- Ask your primary care physician for a referral. Not only will this doctor point you in the right direction, but you can also trust that he or she has your best interests in mind.
- Visit a methadone clinic. These are located throughout the country, so you should be able to find one that shares the goal of helping you beat your addiction. Once again, your primary care physician should be able to help you with this.
Methadone for Pain and Addiction Treatment
During the 1930’s, it was common for doctors to prescribe methadone for pain relief. By the 1960’s, however, doctors began to realize that the medication could also be used to treat heroin addicts.
At that time, it was found that a patient could substitute the opiate they were addicted to with methadone. This would allow them to overcome their addiction without dealing with many of the severe side effects of withdrawal.
Here are the three primary reasons why methadone is used in today’s day and age to treat an opiate addiction:
- Help the patient avoid withdrawal and related symptoms. When somebody who is addicted to opiates cuts this out of their life, the person often experiences severe withdrawal symptoms. By replacing the use of the drug with methadone, it is possible to avoid these withdrawal symptoms.
- Curb cravings. Many people who attempt to cut street opiates out of their life, such as heroin, are faced with cravings that can be a challenge to suppress. These cravings can lead to both physical and mental distress. Although methadone is unable to prevent somebody from having the desire to do drugs, it can prevent the physical need for the person to do so.
- Block the effects. With the proper dose of methadone, the effects of street opiates are blocked.
At this point, it is easy to see why so many people turn to methadone as a means of overcoming an addiction to heroin and other opiates. That being said, this is not a drug that can be purchased over the counter and administered without professional assistance.
There are several benefits of regularly consulting with a licensed methadone doctor, including:
- A methadone doctor can prescribe this medication for the treatment of an opiate addiction.
- A methadone doctor can review your situation and provide you with the appropriate dose of medication for somebody in your position. This person can also make adjustments, as necessary, to ensure that you are always taking the proper amount.
- A methadone doctor can follow your progress, both good and bad. It should be your goal to use methadone to overcome your addiction. With your doctor’s help, you can reach this goal soon enough. Let your doctor follow your progress, helping you avoid trouble and reach your goal of leading a clean life.
It is true that not all doctors can prescribe methadone, however, we are here to help you find one in your local area that is licensed to do so.